Wednesday, August 15, 2012

PICU Update


I thought I would give a little update on William.  He is still in the PICU.  Recently he has had some problems with his feedings. But, hopefully we can work those out with a little rescheduling and more venting (letting air escape through his g-tube) He has been getting trials off the ventilator. We have put him on progression schedule. Currently he gets 15 minutes off 4 times a day. The plan is to do this for 3 days and then progress to 30 minutes 4 times a day and so on. So far we are on day 2 and he is doing great. My hope for William is that we can get him back to his baseline pre-surgery and just use the vent while he is sleeping. Yesterday, I got him into his wheelchair. He sat up, played with his iPad and watched Elmo on TV! He looked happier than I had seen him in awhile! 

It is possible, if everything goes well, that he may be discharged some time next week. However since the trach and vent is new, he will be going to a transitional place until we can get all of our training done and nursing in place. William's transitional home is going to be Almost Home Kids in Naperville. I truly wish I could just take him home. I just want my little man, healthy, happy and home!

No comments:

Post a Comment